Saturday, June 9, 2007

Father's Day

Reading a post at et al. reminded me how much I dislike father's day. She writes about going to a father's day event at her daughter's school. Wow. I cannot imagine my mother showing up at some 'father-daughter' event and participating with me. It isn't that she didn't care, I just think it would never have occurred to her. V's teacher had both mother's day and father's day lunches for the class, and I know she was not the only child who didn't have a parent at father's day (in fact, for mother's day she had an "extended family" parent) but it made me feel bad that she doesn't have a dad. Fortunately, she's surrounded by kids who don't have and never did have a dad, but it makes me sad anyway. I still miss my dad, and it has been 40 years since he died. 40 years. I realized that one day in April, and had to check to make sure I had the date right, but in fact it has been 40 years and it still makes me sad.

No comments: